Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default How to remove pool drain cover 9 feet under water to check for aclogged pipe?

On Sep 1, 11:14*pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:42*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

On Aug 31, 12:24*am, SF Man wrote:

My pool drain is 9 feet underwater - and - I think it's clogged because the
pump runs dry every time I switch from both the spa & pool or just the spa,
to the pool only.

The drain cover has screws on top - but - it's 9 feet under (due to the
nature of the self-cleaning pool).

I long lost (20 years ago) my PADI scuba diving certification card (I
wonder if we can get a new one sent?) and I don't have tanks (although I
could buy them on Craigslist) and a regulator ...

So, I wonder, sans scuba equipment, how do you guy normally service your
deep drains to see what's clogging them up?

I took a look at my pool and I dont think it would take more than an
hour to reconfigure my plumbing to backwash the drain. That said I
find it possible bit not likely you have a drain that clogged, more
likely the valve used to switch from spa to pool.

Jimmie

Somewhere along the way he mentioned that he doesn't
understand how a pipe could be collapsed. *One key
issue is what pipe was used. *Around here, NJ, they
usually use flex PVC because it's easier to work with.
Problem with that is that it can collapse if not backfilled
carefully or subjected to too much vacuum. *Also, it's
often not possible to tell what they used. *Pool here
uses flex PVC underground but transitions to regular
PVC prior to exiting the ground.

Not saying that's his problem, just one more thing to
consider. * I'd proceed by rigging up something to
put either water or air down the suspect pipe,
keeping the pressure below 15 or 20PSI or so. *I've
rigged up fittings from my air compressor to
pool lines. * If he can't get access to do that
with what's there, cutting the PVC line at an
appropriate spot is no big deal. * Also, they
have what are called "snap tees". *Hard to
describe, but google is your friend. *Basicly
it's a T that is made to snap onto an existing
pipe. *You use regular PVC cement, snap it
on, then use a drill to make a hole in the
existing pipe. * Could use that to get his
access point, connect water or air, close
whatever valve he has and then test.

T4-

A snap tee's is a great idea in this situation.

I use them all the time to add sprinklers to existing lines or to "tap
off" existing lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdxrychcx1Q