Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_3_] Doug Miller[_3_] is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

On 9/6/2011 10:34 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Again, tell that to my local inspector. GFCI's were required in my
finished basement. Every outlet had to be on a protected ckt.

One of two things, then: either you live in a jurisdiction that has
adopted more stringent rules than those specified by the NEC, or your
local inspector doesn't know or doesn't understand the NEC.

The NEC is only a model, a suggestion. In and of itself, it has no force
at all; it acquires the force of law *only* when it is adopted as the
governing regulation by state law or municipal ordinance -- and such
jurisdictions are free to adopt it in toto, or in part, or with such
exceptions or additions as they see fit. It's entirely possible that
your jurisdiction has done exactly that. That's not unheard of, you
know: the Chicago electrical code, as I understand it, is *based* on the
NEC, but has numerous additions (e.g. all wiring must be run in conduit,
no Romex allowed) that appear to stem as much from a desire to keep
union electricians employed as from an understandably morbid fear of
widespread fires.