Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

Again, tell that to my local inspector. GFCI's were required in my
finished basement. Every outlet had to be on a protected ckt.

On 9/6/2011 6:51 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/5/2011 10:25 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Well you are absolutely wrong.

New code requires that the sump pump be plugged into a gfi.

Only if it's in an unfinished basement (or unfinished portion of a
basement), or a crawl space. And that's not new, either: that provision
dates from the 2008 Code, maybe earlier.

So What do you say to that...

I say, you're mistaken.

Any basement circuit requires it.

Not true.

GFCI protection is required *only* in unfinished basements and
unfinished portions of partially finished basements:

"...receptacles ... in the locations specified ... shall have
ground-fault protection ... Unfinished basements -- for purposes of this
section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the
basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas,
work rooms, and the like ..." [2011 NEC, Article 210.8(A)(5)]

I had an inspection recently and they were trying to ding me on that,
but my inspection was not related to that. And I argued, that when the
house was built that was what was called for.

On 9/4/2011 11:44 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/4/2011 8:09 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 13:57:52 +0100,
wrote:
Why should a 1hp motor trip a GCFI, its an earth fault current trip
not a
current overload device.

That's something I can't answer because my electrical knowledge is
pretty limited. However, the small 8" desk fan I use in my bathroom
which is plugged into a GFI outlet, occasionally trips the GFI when I
turn the fan on. What could be the explanation for that?

motors will often trip GFCI's that is why they should never be used on
refrigerators, disposals, diswashers and sump pumps and the like.