Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding thin round stuff

On 2011-09-06, Wild_Bill wrote:
A few smaller tool companies such as Cal-Van, K-D, make screw
starter-extractor tools sold in autoparts and retail stores.
(K-D 2282 Screw Holder and various other models)

The ones I have will lock into either slotted or philips recess screw heads
by cocking the mechanism on the end, then pressing the tip into the screw
cut/recess to lock the screw onto the tool.
These types doesn't have an actual molded handle, just a knurled section on
a length of aluminum round stock, and a magnet on the back end.

Of course, they don't have a molded handle. They are not made
to handle the torque of either fully installing a screw, or breaking one
lose which is already installed. They are great for starting a screw
(down to finger tight), or for extracting a screw from where it is down
in a recess.

That is the kind which I was describing earlier in this thread,
and noting that I had not seen them in stores recently.

Some of mine have the magnet, others do not. (And for those that
do not, as they live in stitched pockets on a toolcase pallet, I use a
hacksaw (years ago) to cut either a shallow straight notch or a cross
notch in the end and filled them with India ink so I could grab the
right one for the screw which I was going to attack. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564