Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Teflon for Sale or Trade

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:56:47 GMT, (Pinstripe
Sniper) wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
I have more virgin electrical grade PTFE Teflon round rod than I'll
ever use. Lots of 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2 dia; some larger and smaller.
I'd like to get 20%-25% of McMaster price, depending on quantity,
extent of the surplus, etc. The stuff is on McM p.3574

I didn't know I needed this until I saw your post. :-)

Um, where in the world are you? (which US state?)

Maine

What's this stuff normally used for? (would have guessed rollers or
some chemically resistant app so I am thrown by the electrical grade
mention)

PTFE also has some desirable electrical properties, which, along with
heat resistance, makes it a good insulator for some applications. I
think the term "electrical grade" is used to mainly to distinguish
between virgin and reprocessed (mechanical grade) material. The
downside for load bearing parts like rollers is that PTFE is rather
soft and not wear resistant.

--
Ned Simmons