Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rolled Wide edges?

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Richard" ? wrote in message
m...
? On 9/5/2011 5:02 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
?? ...
? The latter sounds more like what I need.
? It's not a flat piece though.
?
? It a cockpit combing (surround/fairing) piece that needs a stiffened edge.
?
? Sounds like a job for four hands?

The four hands of two experienced sheet-metal pros. I've heard that the edge
rolling machines

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch...kit-34104.html

are difficult to use, even the good industrial-quality ones.

A freind of mine in Ohio made a lot of replacement parts for Model T
& Model A Fords. He had one of the machines Ford used to roll wire into
the edges of the fenders and it was one of the worst jobs they had to
do. He was a tool & die maker from Aeronca who started making a few
parts on the side. Aeronca laid some people off for a while, and he
never went back. He bought every original Ford T or A die he could
find, and made his own for things like the battery. He used bits &
pieces of corroded samples to make a new die. His quality was so high
that Ford let him use their early logo on his shipping boxes. He had
the best machine shop I ever had access to. I could use any machine in
the place that I needed, if it wasn't busy. It was intersting to watch a
flat sheet of steel be stamped a couple times and turned into a new
fender. Or to watch him assemble the can they made with with the early
Ford logo with an insert from Echlin.

I finally tracked it down: Engle's A & T Reproductions, 2516 Oxford
State Rd, Middletown, OH 45044