Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default magnetic switch

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while
the saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it
isn't a dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there
are adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one
judge that the adjustments are correct?

This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol
box for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this
summer and had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...

My shaper started doing this recently, and it was a loose wire on the
breaker. I bought the shaper used and "thought" it had a magnetic
switch, but shortly after it went off, it went ON. Damn...

I had just had a new 200 amp service installed and the guy didn't
tighten the wire in that circuit breaker. Probably not your problem but
it was a problem for me. It particularly highlighted the good side of a
mag switch...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com