Posted to rec.woodworking

Default magnetic switch

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while the
saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it isn't a
dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there are
adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one judge that
the adjustments are correct?

This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol box
for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this summer and
had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

P.S. You can see where I was at
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 5, 3:49*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while the
saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it isn't a
dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there are
adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one judge that
the adjustments are correct?

This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol box
for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this summer and
had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

P.S. You can see where I was at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

Can't help you with the switch, John, but I enjoyed reading a bit
about your bike adventures. I'll have to give it a proper read -
looks great!

I am another one that was very disappointed to find out that a lot of
my bike touring stuff deteriorated after only 30 years. They don't
make things like they used to.

Keep riding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

P.S. You can see where I was at
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

Can't help you with the switch, John, but I enjoyed reading a bit
about your bike adventures. I'll have to give it a proper read -
looks great!

I am another one that was very disappointed to find out that a lot of
my bike touring stuff deteriorated after only 30 years. They don't
make things like they used to.

Yeah... only 30 years and the stuff turned into useless stuff... I'm
actually going to throw some of it away rather than continue to warehouse
it! LOL

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 15:49:02 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while the
saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it isn't a
dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there are
adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one judge that
the adjustments are correct?

This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol box
for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this summer and
had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

P.S. You can see where I was at
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

The best bet would be to contact Jet Tools:

North America Manufacturing Headquarters
427 New Sanford Rd
La Vergne, TN 37086-4184
Phone: 615-793-8900
Fax: 615-793-8905
Email:

or the US distributor for NHD Industrial, the maker of the overload
relay:

Distributor in USA
Kevin McSorley
Electrotech Sales Group LLC 151 Discovery Drive Unit 111 Colmar, PA
18915
P 215-997-8855; F 215-822-7632

www.esgllc-usa.com
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't actually know the correct answer John.
Here is what I suspect by looking at the picture.
From the picture it appears the pointer is set to test.
The switch probably needs to be set to auto.

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while
the saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it
isn't a dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there
are adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one
judge that the adjustments are correct?

This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol
box for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this
summer and had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

P.S. You can see where I was at
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I don't actually know the correct answer John.
Here is what I suspect by looking at the picture.
From the picture it appears the pointer is set to test.
The switch probably needs to be set to auto.

I was thinking the same thing but then I questioned what exactly is the
pointer... and why, after 7 1/2 years is it suddenly acting up?

That last question is why I thought dust build up was the problem
initially...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
P.S. You can see where I was at
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

Can't help you with the switch, John, but I enjoyed reading a bit
about your bike adventures. *I'll have to give it a proper read -
looks great!

I am another one that was very disappointed to find out that a lot of
my bike touring stuff deteriorated after only 30 years. *They don't
make things like they used to. *

Yeah... only 30 years and the stuff turned into useless stuff... I'm
actually going to throw some of it away rather than continue to warehouse
it! LOL

Make sure you check eBay before you toss anything. It's funny how
some old pieces of kit can bring some bucks. Years ago I gave a buddy
the original Campagnolo aero water bottle. He used the things for
years and still has it and uses it. I ran across one on eBay and I
was shocked to see how much a used water bottle could fetch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I don't actually know the correct answer John.
Here is what I suspect by looking at the picture.
From the picture it appears the pointer is set to test.
The switch probably needs to be set to auto.

I was thinking the same thing but then I questioned what exactly is the
pointer... and why, after 7 1/2 years is it suddenly acting up?

That last question is why I thought dust build up was the problem
initially...

How about the contact points? They could be pitted or otherwise in need of
a cleanup.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly
while the saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless
so it isn't a dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that
there are adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how
does one judge that the adjustments are correct?

snip
"Magnetic switch" AKA: "Magnetic Motor Starter".

This one appears to have a time delay.

First things first.

Call Jet tech service (They have an 800#), model number in hand and
explain problem.

They will probably download the right instruction sheets (PDF files)
and walk you thru it.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while
the saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it
isn't a dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there
are adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one
judge that the adjustments are correct?

This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol
box for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this
summer and had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...

My shaper started doing this recently, and it was a loose wire on the
breaker. I bought the shaper used and "thought" it had a magnetic
switch, but shortly after it went off, it went ON. Damn...

I had just had a new 200 amp service installed and the guy didn't
tighten the wire in that circuit breaker. Probably not your problem but
it was a problem for me. It particularly highlighted the good side of a
mag switch...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Sep 5, 3:49 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

I am another one that was very disappointed to find out that a lot of
my bike touring stuff deteriorated after only 30 years. They don't
make things like they used to.

Yeah... only 30 years and the stuff turned into useless stuff... I'm
actually going to throw some of it away rather than continue to warehouse
it! LOL

Make sure you check eBay before you toss anything. It's funny how
some old pieces of kit can bring some bucks. Years ago I gave a buddy
the original Campagnolo aero water bottle. He used the things for
years and still has it and uses it. I ran across one on eBay and I
was shocked to see how much a used water bottle could fetch.

The stuff I'm throwing out of isn't serviceable any longer... if it was
serviceable it would be on Craigslist along with the serviceable stuff!

I also weigh the opportunity costs of listing stuff against what I can
reasonably expect to get for it. Handling 20 e-mails for a $10 item isn't
worth my time and it goes in the trash... it seems like the low priced stuff
and free stuff generates the most e-mails so I really weigh the opportunity
costs.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
I don't actually know the correct answer John.
Here is what I suspect by looking at the picture.
From the picture it appears the pointer is set to test.
The switch probably needs to be set to auto.

I was thinking the same thing but then I questioned what exactly is the
pointer... and why, after 7 1/2 years is it suddenly acting up?

That last question is why I thought dust build up was the problem
initially...

How about the contact points? They could be pitted or otherwise in need
of a cleanup.

The switch looks like new inside... it has a rubber gasket to keep the dust
out, I checked all the screws for tightness, and all the contacts are bright
and shiny. All of which makes the sudden problems puzzling.

Also, I do NOT have to reset the motor or press the off button before
restarting. I just hit the start button and the saw starts right back up.
It's almost like the magnet lost strength???

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while
the saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it
isn't a dust built up problem...

I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there
are adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one
judge that the adjustments are correct?

snip
"Magnetic switch" AKA: "Magnetic Motor Starter".

This one appears to have a time delay.

First things first.

Call Jet tech service (They have an 800#), model number in hand and
explain problem.

They will probably download the right instruction sheets (PDF files) and
walk you thru it.

Have fun.

Always.... ;~) I looked all over their web site and couldn't find anything
on the switches nor in the documents that came with the saw. Guess I'll have
to find time to call them but time is a scarce commodity during business
hours so it may take a while.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Always.... ;~) I looked all over their web site and couldn't find
anything on the switches nor in the documents that came with the
saw. Guess I'll have to find time to call them but time is a scarce
commodity during business hours so it may take a while.

----------------------------------
You'll waste a lot less time working with tech service than conducting
a snipe hunt here.

You need the motor starter instruction sheets.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Always.... ;~) I looked all over their web site and couldn't find
anything on the switches nor in the documents that came with the saw.
Guess I'll have to find time to call them but time is a scarce commodity
during business hours so it may take a while.

----------------------------------
You'll waste a lot less time working with tech service than conducting a
snipe hunt here.

You need the motor starter instruction sheets.

Lew

Sometimes folks here really know and respond quickly... it's worth a shot!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On
and shiny. All of which makes the sudden problems puzzling.

Also, I do NOT have to reset the motor or press the off button before
restarting. I just hit the start button and the saw starts right back up.
It's almost like the magnet lost strength???

John- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a bad coil or the hot lead going to the coil insn't
energizing it.

RP