Posted to alt.home.repair
SF Man SF Man is offline

Default How to remove pool drain cover 9 feet under water to check for a clogged pipe?

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 06:55:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
If you do that, don't go over about
15 or 20psi. I'd also do it right after
the pump has been running for a
while. I think that way there is
probably going to be more water
around the leak area, so more
water to spot boiling out of the
ground.

I'll try that as I'm 'sure' there are leaks (I put in 500 gallons every few
days ... and my well output is only about 400 gallons in a 24-hour day).

I also see you mentioned sand
destroying the impeller. Where is
that coming from? Does a lot blow
into the pool from the environment?

When I bought the forclosure, I was told they emptied the pool, but,
rainwater filled it (that's a LOT of rain!) and then the vector control
guys threw mosquitoe fish into it to keep the mosquitoes down.

It was greenish brown when I got it, and the water level was about a foot
below the deck. The fish were happily swimming about, eating the algae. The
bottom had mud on it everywhere, which we had cleaned up by a work crew.

Normally, no sand spills into the pool (it gets wind borne debris, but, not
much).

If not, another sign of a leaking pipe
is sand, small pebbles, getting
sucked in.

Interesting. I 'do' see tiny pebbles in the filter basket and wondered how
they got there ...

C - A brown cloud that went by some
number of seconds after the pump
started each time.