Posted to rec.woodworking
m II m II is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

Mikey posted it first!

"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...

On 9/4/2011 3:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/4/11 2:21 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/4/2011 2:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/4/11 12:19 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/4/2011 12:35 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 11:47 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/3/2011 5:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 3:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Am try to install new garbage disposal and have a quick electrical
quesiton.

GD Unit came with (3-prong) electrical cord attached. Unfortunately
the
cord does not seem to be removable. Can I cut off the plug and
attach
this to the romex in my junction box?

Short answer: yes. As long as the romex wire is copper and not
aluminum.

Sorry, that's *not* correct: flexible cord is not Code-approved for
permanent connection to the wiring system except under limited
circumstances that do not pertain here.

A lot of things aren't code approved that would work perfectly fine.

That doesn't mean you should do them -- or advise others to.

It's a disposal that runs for a few seconds a few times a day.
It doesn't mean they should be scared out of doing an otherwise safe
installation simply because the nec found a reason to advise against it.

Perhaps you'd care to discuss the tests you've conducted, and your
qualifications for evaluating the results, that enable you to describe
with such certainty as a "safe installation" something that the NFPA has
decided is *not* safe.

Many of my electrical engineer friends, including my good friend and
neighbor who's worked for AEP for 20 years, will admit and lament that
quite a few nec requirements are overkill and based more on fear... and
fear of lawsuits... than actual safety and good sense. Theirs is the
experience qualifications by which I expressed my opinion and advice for
this one, limited and specific situation.

Just the same, I don't imagine that they knowingly advise anyone to
violate the NEC.

There are many safety techniques prescribed by osha that many an
experienced and skilled woodworker simply ignore because they are
pretty silly and only in place to keep Darwinism in check. :-)

In any event, it's a silly thing to do. Installing a duplex receptacle
is easier, *and* complies with the Code.

Installing a receptacle was my advice.

And mine.