Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Flush-type grease fitting

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 20:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

On Sep 3, 3:09Â*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 22:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

You don't need anything very special for that. Just a needle adapter
will do the trick. Like this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...ProductDisplay...

Most any hardware store, borg... will carry these. It just snaps on to
your existing grease gun with the usual zerk fitting. The one I have is
Lubrimatic.

snip

Yeah, that's getting to be a problem with any vehicle these days. I
can remember when there was a whole lot of room between yokes on a
drive shaft and plenty of space for a regular grease gun. Got to make
everything smaller and lighter.

I've not had a lot of luck with needles for lube jobs, might be time
to look at what's out there again. Would still prefer the nozzle that
was designed for the job, though.

Far as I know Stan that adapter IS one of the proper nozzles for
servicing that type of grease fitting. I tried screwing it onto
a smallish grease gun originally. Figured I wouldn't be using it that
often and I would just dedicate that little grease gun to it. But... a
lot of grease will just ooze out with weather/temperature fluctuations
between uses. Gave up on that idea after a short time and cleaning up.

My truck is a 1982 Chevy. There just isn't enough room in the front
axle (Dana 44) U-joints for a regular fitting, ain't nothing
new...

This is like the one I have/use (Plews/Lubrimatic PLW05-025) :

http://www.tooltopia.com/plews_lubri...n=shopzilla_r1

You can take a look at the Plews/Lubrimatic Catalog here for a few more
options. They have one with what looks like a rubber tip that might
seal a bit better but I've not had any problem with 05-025 version. See
page 6:

http://plews-edelmann.com/downloads/...older=brochure

--
Leon Fisk