Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

On 9/4/2011 10:04 AM, Nova wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 09:30:29 -0400, "J.
wrote:

In ,
says...

-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/3/11 6:46 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:36:23 -0400,
wrote:
Interesting that it wouldn't be required given the likely potential
for leaks and water when people are under there repairing stuff.
Either way, I tend to go overboard with those things. I don't mind
the cost given their benefit.

Just as long as you don't have to reset the damned thing three times
a day eh?g

If that's happening, there's definitely something wrong. :-)

Like the start-up of a 1HP motor?

That would trip a circuit breaker. If there's a ground fault at startup
something's wrong.

Due to the inductance of the windings of larger motors there is a
slight delay in the current flow between the hot and neutral leads.
This delay can cause a false trip of a GFCI.

In the early days of GFCI, even nearby electrical storms were
responsible for nuisance GFCI trips.

The advent of "hospital grade" GFCI devices advanced the quality of the
devices to where that is no longer the problem it once was, although it
still happens and is always something to consider.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010