Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
The Passaic river drains a lot of territory and it floods with any
signifiant amount of rainfall. It must be a real mess with all the rain
from the tropical storm.

We may not flood as bad as many other areas of the country... But it
affects a lot more people and a heck of a lot more businesses than anywhere
else in the nation given our business and population density... Imagine it
taking 3 hours to go 50 miles (straight line) on highways because of traffic
and closed roads. ...That's the commute for some people right now if they
are lucky enough to be able to get out.

No worries though, Katina is on the way to give us another round of
cleansing rain and wind.

I drove down I80 Thursday and in the Fairfield Wayne area the Passaic
river was still lapping at the roadway of some of the bridges in that
area. Exit 52 was blocked off except for local traffic and with the
water that high all the houses on the one crossroad by the two bridges
area and Fairfield road will be flooded to the first floor. I drove up
the parkway to Orangeburg NY. and everything looked normal with no
observable damage. I have never seen the Oradell reservoir that full.

John