Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Home made Torx T-9 insturment

On Sep 3, 6:51*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

Recently dropped a FRS walkie talkie, which now transmits
but without any TX audio. I'm curious what's inside.

The Harbor Freight security bit set has T8 and T10. And as
Goldilocks said about the porridge, one is too small and one
is too large.

Torx sets are about $5 or less on Ebay, with the obligatory
2 week wait from Hong Kong.

With a small allen wrench, and some time on the bench
grinder, I was able to make an oddly shaped tip, which was
supposed to be smaller allen wrench tip. Didn't work out as
well as I'd hoped. But, it did remove the necessary screws.

I also opened up a nonworking set I got off Ebay, which had
corroded alkaline batteries. The contacts were beyond
repair, or at least beyond my own abilities.

Glad you got it open, but for future reference, Harbor Fright has three
sets, an orange one, a yellow one, and a red one.

The orange one with the green-and-black handle, flex shaft, and
magnifier is the only one with T9, as well as small metric allens and
some others.

The yellow one with the orange and black handle and the tweezers has
small SAE allens but no small metric. *It also has some weirdies like
the 5-pointer that you need to get some Sony stuff open.

Both the yellow and the orange are small sizes. *The red set 100 piece
set with no handle has the larger sizes--it overlaps the other two a
little bit.- Hide quoted text -

This explains why I've never felt the need for a set of small Torx, I
bought the orange set when it first came out and at half off. Has met
the need for opening up cases for several years now. Only problem is
that the plastic case hinges gave out, it's got a rubber band latch
now.
I did have to order a T1 one time to get into an IBM Thinkpad. Nobody
local carried anything that small, T5 was it.

Stan