Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Flush-type grease fitting

On Sep 3, 3:09*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 22:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

You don't need anything very special for that. Just a needle adapter
will do the trick. Like this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...ProductDisplay...

Most any hardware store, borg... will carry these. It just snaps on to
your existing grease gun with the usual zerk fitting. The one I have is
Lubrimatic.

Snap the adapter on the end of your grease gun and then push the
needle end into the recessed fitting area. Push hard against the
fitting and grease away. Works a whole lot better than one would think
for just pushing it against the recessed fitting.

I've got those recessed fittings on my 4x4's front knuckles and in the
CV joint for the front drive shaft. There just isn't room enough for a
standard zerk fitting in there...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b

Yeah, that's getting to be a problem with any vehicle these days. I
can remember when there was a whole lot of room between yokes on a
drive shaft and plenty of space for a regular grease gun. Got to make
everything smaller and lighter.

I've not had a lot of luck with needles for lube jobs, might be time
to look at what's out there again. Would still prefer the nozzle that
was designed for the job, though.

Stan