Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding thin round stuff

On 2011-09-02, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm getting to the point of being afraid to throw anything away cause
there are so many alternate uses for things. Like yesterday I was
using one of those rubber spatula's for an extended finger to thread
in a bolt that I could only reach with one finger.

Hmm ... in buying used electronic service toolkits, I wound up
with a set of spring-loaded thimbles with spring-loaded clips for various
sized hex nuts -- which is great for that particular task. (I have,
before, used double-sided tape to hold the nut to the fingertip.)

As for screws -- I've got both straight and Phillips screw
starters which have a twist-lock. You pushed the screw onto the end of
the driver and part of it rotates to lock the screw in place. For the
straight blade, it is the middle which rotates relative to the rest of
the blade. For the Phillips, one cross-blade rotates relative to the
other,a nd both have gripping surfaces. Obviously, these are useless
for applying much torque, but great for starting screws -- or for
picking screws out of recesses -- cock the driver, move it down onto the
screw head, and press. When it goes "snap" pull out screw and driver.

I haven't seen those in stores for years -- but presumably
someone still makes them.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564