Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

On 2011-09-02, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 6:37 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models
show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt
water,
but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The
storm
surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Did you come out okay?

Wes

Oh, yeah. But I got a new wading pool in my basement. d8-)

All is well, thanks. Everything is drying out pretty well.

A question...how does one recover from flooding when you have no
power
like so many affected by Irene?

No pumps, no vacuums, no lights.

How are you and your neighbors coping with the cleanup when one does
not have power?

We have power. My house lost power at 2:00 AM during the hurricane,
when
tree branch fell on our pole drops from across the street. My
neighbors
did
not lose power, so, early the next morning, I ran an extension cord
from
my
neighbor's garage to my house.

Meantime, the water in the basement had risen to almost 7 inches. The
sump
pump didn't actually pump it all out. After the rain stopped, the
level
went
down 4 inches without the pump running. It just ran down the sump
hole
and
out under our slab. Very strange.

Why was not the pump pumping? Did it break or something?

The pump stopped at 2:00 AM when my power went out. I started it again
the
next morning by running an extension cord from my neighbor's garage.

One other house and mine were the only two on the street that lost
power.
The other guy's house was on "Good Morning America" the next morning,
because he had a photogenic mess of downed wires and a big tree right
across
the street. Mine was too dull for them. g

A water alarm, backup sump pump, and a generator would have helped.

Yes, they would. Now, calculate the lost interest over 25 years, which is
the time between events. d8-)

How bad was the damage?

Not as bad as I feared. The power tools dried out and ran just fine. I
lost
maybe $150 worth of stuff.

If my house has 7 inches of water in basement, it would be very
expensive to repair and replace everything that was affected.

Most of what I have is up on shelves. I built heavy shelves on three of
the
four walls as soon as I moved in, 33 years ago.

I have a lot of stuff low, carpet, kids toy HO scale railroad etc.

Ok if you don't have a wet basement. This one was very wet when we moved in.
I've improved it a lot, but it's hard to beat 15 inches in two shots over
two weeks.

--
Ed Huntress