Posted to rec.woodworking
Baron[_3_] Baron[_3_] is offline

Default Close call

"Morgans" wrote in message
"Z3Driver" wrote

by the
kickback genie. I was trimming 4 short (5"x5") boards for a project,
taking 3/4" off one of the sides. I trimmed the first three against the
rip fence without a problem. When I use the TS, I never stand directly
in front of the blade. On this cut, I was on the right side of the
blade, feeding the work by hand. On cut number 4,I must have turned the
board a fraction and the blade kicked that sucker back on an angle and
it caught me right in the heart. Scared the crap out of me.

I have a rule for avoiding this type of problem, that I teach my
students... Might be good for you, too.

With the blade set at the right minimum height, measure the distance along
the blade that is above the table. Let's say 5 inches is what that
measures. I say that the board being cut has to be the length of the
blade plus half of that distance added back on, so 5 plus 1/2 (2.5), so
the wood needs to be 7.5 inches long, against the fence. The fence also
must not be set much further from the blade than the length of the board.

Use the miter gauge if it does not fit the above conditions, and of
course, never use the rip fence and the miter gauge at the same time.

-- Jim in NC

Jim in NC,

I don't quite get the "The fence also must not be set much further from
the blade than the length of the board." Assume you are ripping a 2X4 that
is a foot long. The fence distance could not possibly be even close to the
length of the board. If you are cross cutting, setting the fence at the
board length would mean the board misses the blade.

Where did I get it wrong and what is the correct interpretation?

TIA.