Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default raid on Gibson Guitar

On Aug 30, 8:01*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 8/26/2011 8:28 PM, Bill wrote:

willshak wrote:
basilisk wrote the following:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57653052047122....

basilisk

I gotta ask. What does the type of wood for the fretboard have anything
to do with the sound?

Are you joking? Luthiers want to know whether the wood came off of the
east or the west side of the tree. There are some banjo bridges being
made out of wood salvaged from shipwrecks in Lake Superior that go for
quite alot (don't have the figure off hand). No kidding.

Much of this is, IME, nothing more than figment of the imagination,
followed up by clever marketing, much like with the "audiophile" business..

I've recorded albums with some of the best acoustic musicians, violin,
guitar, mandolin and banjo players in the world and I guarantee you
without qualification that 90% of any perceived "tone" in an instrument
comes from the "hands" of the player and makes up the 10% difference.

IOW, Tony Rice can make a Sears Silvertone sound like Clarence White's
D-28. BTDT. *

What an accomplished musician can do with a guitar made
from a cigar box and a piece of 1 x 2 is revelation.