Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding thin round stuff

"steamer" wrote in message
--Still and all I'm not real happy with the fixture and I'd be
interested to know what others may have done in similar situations. I
didn't
want to go overboard on design since I'm only doing maybe 50 of these and
the 'customer' is me. ;-)
"Steamboat Ed" Haas

Holtzapffel's suggestion for clamping oddly shaped artsy workpieces was a
custom wooden 'collet' closed by an external steel ring. The lids could use
an internal plug for support. I make such things out of either glued plywood
scraps or a chunk of firewood, depending on grain requirements. If it's
stationary you could close it with a Vise Grip chain wrench.

The wood doesn't scar the finish or damage cutters. Scrap credit cards like
AARP sends are good for padding finished or uneven work in a milling vise
too.

jsw