Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default ballcock float-operated valve in header tank

I'm still trying to solve this issue. The valve I have is the brass type
(BS 1212/1) Brand: "Wirquin".

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:j3gs8c$cuv$1
@dont-email.me:

I think that nowadays this type is used mainly for central heating
header tanks, i.e. low usage. The mechanism used in stored water
header tanks and toilet cisterns is the fast shut-off type, which
uses the water pressure to shut off rather than the force on the
float to shut off.

I would like to ditch the old brass one and fit something else, so I guess
I'll probably follow the above suggestion and fit a fast shut-off type.

Can some recommend one, in particular, or advise of any types that should
be avoided? I want something that is as maintenance-free as possible,
because it's a real pain to access, being in an awkward corner of the loft.

The hole in my header thank is about 1" diameter,and the threaded portion
of the valve is about 7/8" diameter, and then reduces down to the usual
thread diameter as found on compression fittings for a 15mm pipe.

Are plastic valves (diaphragm type) suitable?

Thanks...

Al