Edwin Pawlowski

Default Norm's mahagany finish

LRod wrote:

Okay, Mr. TV Producer, how exactly would you produce the show?
Remember, you only have 24 minutes (less, if it's not on PBS) to get
your episode in.

How much time do you want to devote to repairing gaffs?

Maybe an entire show. You really could devote a lot of time showing how to
recover from errors.

In the wine cabinet episode, he cut 100 pieces for the rack; how many
of those cuts should have been shown so as to avoid anyone getting the
impression that it ain't as easy as it looks?

Cutting 100? That is easy once you have the setup done. I've often made
two or three items at a time because it is so easy one you've determined the
dimension and set the tools. Making triplicates does not take three times as
long as making one and then Ih ave a couple of gifts.

Some of the "experts" here already rag on the program for not
demonstrating the filling of brad holes; maybe we better get 20 or 30
seconds of that in there. Shoot, we have allegedly smart people right
here on the wreck that think that since they didn't show that he must
have slathered the inappropriate finish right over those gaping
crevasses.

We only have 24 minutes available, if we include all of that, what do
we leave out?

Maybe nothing. If the project is big enough, take two shows to do it.

Come on, you must have a better idea of how we can best serve the
great unwashed. Tell us the wreck approved method of taking 16+ hours
of work and compressing it into 24 minutes of TV woodworking show
production without making it look too easy.

What is the intention of the show aside from making money? Educate?
Demonstrate? How about a show devoted to different woods and different
finishes? Maybe that would be of interest, but then they could not sell a
measured drawing. How about a show devoted to tools (both hand and powered)
and what they can do? That would make his sponsors happy and the Viewers
would know how to properly use a plane, brad nailer and biscuit joiner.
(yes, I have all three).

There are all sorts of viewers every week, some brand new, some seasoned
fans, all looking for new ideas or education. So why not mix it up a little?
Why do I watch? To see just how he does certain things. While a particular
project may not appeal to me, I may learn a better way to do a dado, rout a
groove, or mount some hardware that can be applied to a competely different
project.

One thing I would do though (getting back to my original post) is to use
real walnut instead of putting walnut stain on mahogany. Since it was a TV
tray, I'd use poly for the finish because of it durability and ease of
cleaning.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome