LRod

Default Norm's mahagany finish

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:44:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

LRod wrote:

Neither Norm nor Marks build their project in a half hour. It's called
television entertainment production. I would think you'd be clever
enough to have noticed that.

My point it that most of Norm's project are complete quickly, much faster
than the new guy starting out. He makes it looks so easy that people have
expectations that they will be able to do the same if they have a
Wood-O-Matic, just like Norm. I would think you'd be clever enough to have
noticed that.

Okay, Mr. TV Producer, how exactly would you produce the show?
Remember, you only have 24 minutes (less, if it's not on PBS) to get
your episode in.

How much time do you want to devote to repairing gaffs?

In the wine cabinet episode, he cut 100 pieces for the rack; how many
of those cuts should have been shown so as to avoid anyone getting the
impression that it ain't as easy as it looks?

Should we see all the dadoes being cut so that no one thinks this
project is cake?

Duuhhh, I only saw him plane one board...duuhhh, does that mean I
don't have to plane the others? Yuck, yuck, yuck.

How about ALL of the brads? Include them?

Clearly there's much more sanding that needs to be done than is
regularly shown. We can't have people thinking that not much sanding
is needed; perhaps we can show more of that.

Some of the "experts" here already rag on the program for not
demonstrating the filling of brad holes; maybe we better get 20 or 30
seconds of that in there. Shoot, we have allegedly smart people right
here on the wreck that think that since they didn't show that he must
have slathered the inappropriate finish right over those gaping
crevasses.

We only have 24 minutes available, if we include all of that, what do
we leave out?

Come on, you must have a better idea of how we can best serve the
great unwashed. Tell us the wreck approved method of taking 16+ hours
of work and compressing it into 24 minutes of TV woodworking show
production without making it look too easy.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net