Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default How to resolder a cold solder connection?

micky wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:23:28 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

I hate to say this but none of my solder is marked R, RMA, or RA. The
labels says nothing except that they have rosin.

Then it is very probably R (rosin only) RMA (rosin mildly activated)
or RA (rosin activated). No worries.

Radio Shack solder mostly. I've used up other things I had.

Also the Radio Shack flux paste doesn't have an R-rating. It says
nothing about what kind of flux it is.

If it is the SP-44 stuff, you are in luck
because it is compatible:
http://support.radioshack.com/msds/msd91-484.pdf

But the repair today was postponed, so I have time to go farther away
and buy liquid flus. I have another errand to do nearby.

As Smitty Two says, you *can* thin your paste with
99% alcohol. I just find the Kester product to be
very convenient.

2) You daub it on generously with an acid brush,
covering the joint in question.

I can do that.

3) You clean the resulting joint carefully.

I can do that. It's still necessary with liquid, right?

Yes indeed. Extra points are rewarded for cleanliness.

The beauty of the liquid rosin flux is that it's
difficult to supply *too little* to the joint.

Does that also have to be R, RMA, or RA?

Yup.
Most specifically NOT 'acid' or 'plumbing' flux.
Sorry for shouting but we don't want your relay
to turn green and fall apart.

--Winston