Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Refrigerator Backup

Michael B wrote in news:66f807d6-42be-4442-ab62-
:

On Jul 8, 8:41*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Have you actually tried it? I bought a marine battery and
inverter, many years ago. I thought it would run my furnace,
but it did not. I never did get it to work. That same
furnace ran fine off my generator.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I am actually planning to use a 1.5 kw inverter connected to
a Prius.
It can run my frig including start-up.

Any speculations on why the battery/inverter setup failed to run
the furnace?
I have a relatively new furnace, and I don't want its control board
getting clobbered by a few spikes in the genny output.

I'd say it depends on the requirements/sensitivity of the AC device.
Inverters can put out a modified sine wave, sawtooth wave, square wave or
virtually the same wave as the power company. Then there's the quality of
voltage amplitude, frequency and ability to maintain phase. It's always
about the money...how much you pay for the inverter.

Many things will run on crap waves just fine, some run but less
efficient, some run and screw up the device to some extent.

Couple of links to inverter output waveforms.

http://www.lenrek.net/experiments/inverter
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext...cOutput-c.html