Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default How to resolder a cold solder connection?

micky wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:12:38 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"

(...)

Sometimes you can get away with adding a bit of fresh solder -- or better,
flux. But cleaning the joint is the preferred method.

Why limit yourself?
All four are the preferred method.
Remove old, Flux, Solder, Clean.

Well, I learn something new ervery day.

I guess I've been doing this wrong for 50 years, but this time I'm
going to resolder a relay from my neighbor, and I don't want her
getting stuck, as she was last Monday, so my standards are higher than
they would be for myself. .

But I guess now that I know better, I'lll do it this way for myself
too.

Try it! You will be delighted.

(...)

BTW, I could find liquid flux nearby, in time for the repair tomorrow,
so I got flux paste. I thought I'd put a little on with a toothpick
or matchstick?? If the hurrican means I don't work on the car
tomorrow, should I go 10 miles farther to buy liquid flux?

Flux paste will work fine as long as:
1) It matches the flux in your properly selected
solder. (R, RMA or RA rosin in both cases).

2) You daub it on generously with an acid brush,
covering the joint in question.

3) You clean the resulting joint carefully.

The beauty of the liquid rosin flux is that it's
difficult to supply *too little* to the joint.

--Winston