John Siegel

Default Norm's mahagany finish

Mike Hide wrote:
"LRod" wrote in message

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:16:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

While the show encourges woodworking, I imagine that some people get
frustrated because it takes them a half hour to set up a cut and Norm has
the whole project built in that time. And they think they must have the
Wood-O-Matic to do anything good.

If they aren't smart enough to realize that the project isn't *really*
built in half an hour, they don't deserve a Wood-O-Matic.

Neither Norm nor Marks build their project in a half hour. It's called
television entertainment production. I would think you'd be clever
enough to have noticed that.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

Norms shows are entertainment but many consider them to be instructional,
anyone but a rank amateur who sees the show as instructional knows these
projects are not done in 30 minutes.

As I said earlier Norm is in fact a glorified carpenter. At least in other
show TOH he uses experts in the various field of house renovation. So why
not someone who knows at least the rudiments of finishing in his other show
. After all the finishing aspects are just as important as how the thing is
built ,if the finish is crap so is the end item.....mjh

The first episode of the Windsor chair aired here over the weekend.
Chair making
was demonstrated by an expert. Many specialized jigs and hand carving
of the seta. Norm did the same including using the hand tools

to carve the seat. Next week a return to the chair makers shop is promised
to see the expert on finishing. Sounds like just what you want.
John