Mike Hide

Default Norm's mahagany finish

Ok now I have added a couple of pieces I french polished ,just to prove I
have not always been enamored with laquer.

In my opinion french polish is unsurpassed as far as a finish is concerned,
however it is fragile and temperamental because the application technique
takes time and patience to perfect.
Laquer is a far more forgiving and thus is a preferred finish because of its
capability to absorb abuse, it seals the wood effectively and provides
excellent protection to it.

The trick is to find a way to make a laquer finish to look for all intents
and purposes like a french polish finish

"LRod" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:58:40 -0500, Nova
wrote:

LRod wrote:

You're wasting your time p, or should I call you Mr. i? I've seen his
type on the internet for years; all criticism, no examples of his own,
better, work.

I take it that you don't subscribe to "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking"
or "alt.binaries.pictures.furniture".

I do not.

If I had to choose a piece of furniture made by either Norm or Mike it
would be Mr. Hide's for sure.

It's all a matter of personal preference. The computer desk is not my
cup of tea. I wouldn't own it. But that has nothing to do with whether
the workmanship is acceptable or the choice of finish. However, saying
it's a piece of crap and not a good example of woodworking for the
world to see just because it isn't my taste would be wrong.

I didn't see anything in either the joinery or the finish that would
tip the balance.

And I still haven't found out what this mystical wreck approved finish
is. I see he used lacquer on the wall. That's not often a practical
choice for a variety of reasons. I hope that's not it.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net