Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Rebuild a battery pack??

On 8/26/2011 10:41 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In m,
"Steve wrote:

The old nicads
developed a "memory" if partially discharged then charged, and you could
only get them to charge up say 70%.

Complete nonsense, and one of the internet's most persistent fallacious
rumors.

It's true, and the so called rumor was out before the internet was
around. Newer Ni-Cads, yes they found a cure for it. Also true that
they could often be brought back to life after a few charge discharge
cycles. I have first hand experience with 500 to 1000 of them, I _know_
it was true. And the 70% is putting it mildly, I dealt with ones that
were down to about 10% capacity until being discharged and recharged
which brought them back to about 90% capacity. I did however always
hate the term "memory" to describe the problem.