Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default That put the wind up him...

On 25/08/2011 21:38, Steve Walker wrote:
On 25/08/2011 14:02, Alan (BigAl) wrote:
wrote in message On 25/08/2011 03:00,
John Rumm wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...tthat/8719851/
Electrician-inflated-by-pressurised-air-which-shot-up-his-
bottom-in-bizarre-factory-accident.html

It does also justify the advice about not using an air line to "clean
yourself off" after completing a dusty task. This was a common practice
when I was a lad, and we used to scorn the advice of the old hands
that it
was dangerous!

Alan

I think that the problem with dusting yourself off with an airline is
more generally that a high pressure / high velocity jet of air can blast
air through the skin causing severe bruising and swelling (not as many
think getting air into the bloodstream and causing an embolism). Proper
dust-off nozzles are designed to give a low velocity jet and IIRC, they
have holes so that if you press then right up against your skin, the air
pressure cannot get too high.

Indeed - common sense applies. The vented nozzles used a distance from
the skin and away from the eyes etc are ok. A hard point jet blow head
could on the other hand be quite nasty if you do daft stuff with it.

--
Cheers,

John.