Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder[_2_] Mr Pounder[_2_] is offline

Default Kidde interlinked smoke alarms

wrote in message
Hello All,
I have a mains powered - with 10-year lithium backup - interlinked
fire alarm system comprising of 3 off Optical Smoke alarms and 1 off
Heat alarm (for the kitchen)
I changed the 2 Ionisation alarms to optical on the advice of Kidde -
about 3 years ago after sporadic alarms occurred (usually in the early
hours of the morning) when there was no cooking/ironing/smoking or
anything triggering them. At this time the units were all about 3
years old. Kidde did not accept the units were faulty in any way but
did replace FOC.

Now, here I am a further 3 years on and one of the 'new' optical
alarms has started the same game. I have been able to determine which
unit is at fault (this time the alarm continues for a period of 20 to
90 seconds giving time to run around and see which one has triggered)
and have removed and disabled this unit. NB There have been no false
alarms during this 3 year period from toasting/cooking/ or from the
mysterious cause until 2 weeks ago and then had 3 alarms in this last
2 weeks

Does anyone else have this problem?

Should I expect the unit to need replacing at 3 yearly intervals? Each
alarm costs around £40 so this gets a fairly expensive hobby (OK, I
know its not much compared to saving your life but.....)

Has anyone any recommendations for similar function units from other
brands that have proved more reliable?

TIA
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian

Get advice from a small local independent fire alarm company.
Kidde are gangsters, always have been and always will be.