Mike Hide

Default Norm's mahagany finish

"LRod" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:47:06 GMT, "Mike Hide"
wrote:

Norms shows are entertainment but many consider them to be instructional,

Of course they're instructional. I defy anyone to not learn something
from them.

Even if it is how not to do it !!!

anyone but a rank amateur who sees the show as instructional knows these
projects are not done in 30 minutes.

I think you do a disservice to rank amateurs...and place too much
emphasis on what the show is or isn't, or what you think it should be.

That was in fact a comment on someones earlier observation

As I said earlier Norm is in fact a glorified carpenter.

You say that as though it's a crime.

I have the utmost respect for carpenters, they make important contributions
to construction on a daily basis

At least in other show TOH he uses experts in the various field of house
renovation.

Like the project where he got finishing tips from a professional
finish restorer? And the projects subsequent to that where he has
mentioned he's employed those tips in the currennt project?

Ah so the idea of covering up a perfectly good piece of Mahogany with walnut
stain wasn't Norms idea

So why not someone who knows at least the rudiments of
finishing in his other show .

Please. What "rudiments" of finishing does he not know? If you're just
a finishing snob, then there's no correct answer. So many finishing
snobs blindly prostrate themselve at the altar of David Marks and his
incessant tung oil use that they get completely lathered at their
perception of what the *right* finish shoudl be.

Honestly, you sound as bad as the guy who posted a while back that
Norm doesn't show the proper respect for the wood. What hogwash.

After all the finishing aspects are just as important as how the thing

is
built ,if the finish is crap so is the end item.....mjh

Crap? Norm has done polyurethane, wax, modified French polish, tung
oil, and a couple of others that I can't recall. Are they all crap, or
is it just one or two you think are crap?

Poly is probably the most durable but I don't care for it personally ,it
looks like a sticky finish with no character, french polish is a great
finish but very suceptable to water let alone alcohol. Tung oil in one of
the constituents in varnish, on its own it will continue sink into the wood
and gather dust in the wood pores until the surface is almost black. Even
worse if at some later date you wish to refinish the item [perhaps to get
back to the items real color] it is extremely difficult to get a finish to
take due to the ingrained oil.

Yes i would say most are crap.

I suppose the same naysayers who rail on him about "doing a whole
project in 30 minutes" figure he's doing a crap finish because he
"does it alll in the last two minutes of the program."

As important as finishes are your hero should perhaps consider doing at
least a couple of programs on finishes alone, then perhaps he could
enlighten the audience on why he picked a particular finish and how it was
applied. Perhaps then your next comment would be answered.

In another post someone mentioned going to Charleston and seeing a piece of
Mahogany and admiring the quality of the finish . The thing that struck me
was he thought it was JUST a sprayed on finish . People should realize
there is a little more to it than just pulling the trigger on a spray gun,
similary with french polishing it is more than wopping on a bunch of shellac
mixed with alcohol and bit of oil on and calling it french polished ,people
used to be french polishers by trade ,much like carpenters are today with
the exception that you had to serve a five year appreticeship before you
qualified.

Not one time have I heard any one of these same people say what finish
it is that he *ought* to be doing.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

mjh