Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default spring-steel stainless wire--draw round to square?

On 8/20/2011 11:31 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

How long of pieces do you need?

I would need continuous lengths (thousands of feet) and the process
would need to be quick and easy. That's why I thought of the
bearing-rollers. -Which is not really "drawing", I suppose, but anyway.

I know it normally takes a lot of pressure to power-roll metal, but this
would be .01" wire, pretty tiny. A final square shape with sharp edges
would be wonderful, but I doubt I'd get that.

Somebody mentioned grinding,,,, and I discarded it initially but it
might be useful also. An equilateral triangle shaped-wire might work
even better, and there's no way to roll such a shape using common
bearings as rollers.

I'll have to get a bit of the soft-temper stuff later on and see if it
can be done. Nobody that I would buy small quantities from seems to make
the dies or sell square wire this tiny.