Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Hell -o and a fair warning

On Aug 19, 11:15*am, (Arch) wrote:
Hello all, *

So good to see so many old friends still posting to the original
unmoderated turning newsgroup and to see that the same old
arguments/advice/comments obtain re hi-carbon steel vs hi-speed steels,
sets vs dedicated tools, less expensive practice sets vs wasting
expensive hi-speed tools. I see that bevelled edged vs carbide opinions
have displaced scraping vs cutting as talk of the day. Preferences re
free hand vs jigs, and grinders vs belts are still put forth. What no
art vs craft! That's a relief. All this is familiar and comfortable
territory that's happily spiced with Charlie's gifts to us in his
teaching posts and experiments in leading the way.

It's a relief to find out that the cartels haven't hurt Mac and my ole
COC chief, Kevin is still suffering the Alaskan tourists. Can't live
with 'em and can't live without 'em, Same in Mexico and Florida.
Everywhere, I reckon. *Good to see that Fred is ok and Lawrence spelled
backward's cats are alive and purring while he enjoys chocolate. Then
there's that guy near Macon Gawja that I used to steal his savvy sayings
from and sport them as my own. For all our newcomers, these ole timers
and the many others missed, but not forgotten, (please forgive) know
that I make strange posts just after a full moon! *They bear it, look
toward heaven and sigh. Hope you'll do the same. *

I'm almost 90 now and that coupled with losing all my (uninsured) metal
and wood lathes, chucks, tools, and accessories plus a Scot's lifetime
collection of antique tools to thieves who probably sold them for scrap
iron turned me out of my empty shop and off talking turning for a time.
I still have the smaller turning things I had at my camp so I'll set up
and try to remember how to turn wood again. Soon as the weather cools
off I'll start musing here to y'alls distraction again. *That's fair
warning.

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fortiter

Great to hear from you again Arch. I had almost quit reading the
rec.crafts.woodturning because of the number of scam postings, but was
led back here again the other day and found there were still some
posting going on. I'll try to monitor it a bit closer in the future.
Sorry to hear about losing your shop to thieves that would be most
distressful, especially for a young guy like you. If you get up in the
Seattle area, stop by and we can let you use one of our lathes and
some of our many tools.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net