Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Hell -o and a fair warning

Hello all,

So good to see so many old friends still posting to the original
unmoderated turning newsgroup and to see that the same old
arguments/advice/comments obtain re hi-carbon steel vs hi-speed steels,
sets vs dedicated tools, less expensive practice sets vs wasting
expensive hi-speed tools. I see that bevelled edged vs carbide opinions
have displaced scraping vs cutting as talk of the day. Preferences re
free hand vs jigs, and grinders vs belts are still put forth. What no
art vs craft! That's a relief. All this is familiar and comfortable
territory that's happily spiced with Charlie's gifts to us in his
teaching posts and experiments in leading the way.

It's a relief to find out that the cartels haven't hurt Mac and my ole
COC chief, Kevin is still suffering the Alaskan tourists. Can't live
with 'em and can't live without 'em, Same in Mexico and Florida.
Everywhere, I reckon. Good to see that Fred is ok and Lawrence spelled
backward's cats are alive and purring while he enjoys chocolate. Then
there's that guy near Macon Gawja that I used to steal his savvy sayings
from and sport them as my own. For all our newcomers, these ole timers
and the many others missed, but not forgotten, (please forgive) know
that I make strange posts just after a full moon! They bear it, look
toward heaven and sigh. Hope you'll do the same.

I'm almost 90 now and that coupled with losing all my (uninsured) metal
and wood lathes, chucks, tools, and accessories plus a Scot's lifetime
collection of antique tools to thieves who probably sold them for scrap
iron turned me out of my empty shop and off talking turning for a time.
I still have the smaller turning things I had at my camp so I'll set up
and try to remember how to turn wood again. Soon as the weather cools
off I'll start musing here to y'alls distraction again. That's fair
warning.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/19/2011 10:15 AM, Arch wrote:

[...]

Arch, great to hear you're well. The old group isn't what it used to
be, before the ISPs dropped usenet and the forums took over, but it's
still a comfortable place to sit and chew the fat now and then.

Really sorry to hear about the thieves heisting your tools. That's just
low. Perhaps they eviscerated themselves on the skew chisels in their
haste. One can only hope. At least they didn't get off w/a Scot's
lifetime collection of Scotch.

The tourists don't seem to be as well off this year as in the past, but
my small ticket items are doing well none the less. I can't complain,
and am saving for a new lathe. No complaints about my original model
Nova 2000, but I'd like to move up. Maybe a Stubby (preferred) or a
Powermatic. The Powermatic is quite a bit cheaper but still a good
solid unit and it'll let me swing something bigger than 16". Plus I can
throw a beefier motor on it which will help immensely with coring
multiple bowls. My poor 1.5 hp motor just doesn't quite have the
gitty-up to make coring a pain free experience. No matter.

Stay well and keep the bevel rubbing...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:15:14 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Hey Arch!!! Good to see that your birth certificate hasn't expired...

I find it refreshing and encourging that new turners are asking
questions again and letting us ol' farts pontificate..

Stay well, my friend..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:

[...]

Good to hear from you, Arch. You should move up here where there are
fewer murderers and thieves.
You could use one of my lathes rent-free and the hospital is just 4
blocks away (ha!).

The only thing I have ever missed was a bag of trash from the garage,
and a wandering dog took that.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA.

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose
your nursing home.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 19, 11:15*am, (Arch) wrote:
[...]

Great to hear from you again Arch. I had almost quit reading the
rec.crafts.woodturning because of the number of scam postings, but was
led back here again the other day and found there were still some
posting going on. I'll try to monitor it a bit closer in the future.
Sorry to hear about losing your shop to thieves that would be most
distressful, especially for a young guy like you. If you get up in the
Seattle area, stop by and we can let you use one of our lathes and
some of our many tools.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch The Indomitable:

Turning is like riding a bicycle - once you learn you never really
forget.

Sorry to hear of your loss. In my neighborhood, the theives would be
tracked down and turned over to the authorities - AFTER they'd been
"persuaded" to round up the goods stolen and return them - or . . .. We
keep our pitchforks and torches for just such occasions, few as they
are.

After a run in with an A-hole or two, it's easy to forget that there are
FAR more Angels than A-holes. I think there are enough folks in this
newsgroup with a spare turning tool or two (or eight or ten) who would
be glad to let you take at least one off their hands. I've got a spare
skew I'd be glad to contribute to a worthy cause. Send me your mailing
address and I'll see about putting together a Care Package to help get
you back to the lathe. (they didn't get the lathe did they?).

Keep the Musings coming!

respectfully

charlie belden
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My heartfelt thanks to all you guys for the warm 're'-welcome. Wouldn't
it be great and what a difference it'd make if all our nation's leaders
were woodturners!

Charlie will you please stop making my eyes mist up. I much
appreciated the offer. I have plenty turning equipment for the small
things I plan to turn (and ruin) from now on. Actually I had thought of
how best to donate most of my lifetime's accumulation of stuff,
especially the early American tools and lathes I had collected over many
years in New England. For the last few years I've had to be in
Tallahassee for long stretches so I took an apartment there and set up a
'turning' shop in one bedroom. A quad bypass kept me back home in S. Fla
for weeks that stretched into months during which time the break-in
occurred in Tally. I will say they were thorough. Took all of Lori's
furniture and furnishing, everything, even our clothes (way out of style
anyway, but I keep looking to see them walking around town). What a
world. Oh well "there are no pockets in shrouds" and I've had a great
life and still enjoying it. . Thanks again, y'all.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch --

So sorry to hear of your burglary and loss of stuff -- sounds like you're
weathering it fine, but like other here, I'd be happy to send some extra
tools your way.

I also collect old tools, so if you have a list of things you're
interested in maybe selling some day, let me know!

Best,

Andy Barss

Arch wrote:

[...]

:
: Turn to Safety, Arch
: Fortiter

: http://community.webtv.net/almcc/MacsMusings

--
ooooooooooooooooo oooooo
Andy Barss

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
I'm almost 90 now and that coupled with losing all my (uninsured) metal
and wood lathes, chucks, tools, and accessories plus a Scot's lifetime
collection of antique tools to thieves who probably sold them for scrap
iron turned me out of my empty shop and off talking turning for a time.
I still have the smaller turning things I had at my camp so I'll set up
and try to remember how to turn wood again. Soon as the weather cools
off I'll start musing here to y'alls distraction again. That's fair
warning.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Arch,

Good to hear you are well and still have the gumption to keep turning after
being cleaned out by thieving scoundrels.

Keep Codgering,
Lobby

WARNING! WARNING! OT ........... guns! SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 40 October 2nd 09 12:15 AM
I think its fair. Arthur2 UK diy 2 July 14th 08 08:13 PM
Fair pricing Morgan Electronics Repair 11 December 16th 06 11:28 PM