Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Reinforced (door) strike plates

On Aug 18, 9:02*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
As you mention Lowe's, this will help with the deadbolt:
* *http://www.lowes.com/pd_14604-76018-...tId=3406786&Nt...

I've seen reinforced strike plates for deadbolts. Don't
bother trying to get one for both locks, just do the
deadbolt. If *you want a quick and simple, you can pilot
hole and then anchor the deadbolt strike with 3 inch
galvanized deck screws in place of the tiny screws the lock
provided.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote
in messagenews:fodo47p7bo6kds8jppjv9np4oecuuu5e2r@4ax .com...

Little brick bungalow in a midwest US city. Quikset door
locks.

When I moved in 25+ years ago, everybody had just knob-set
locks on their doors.
Burglars got more active, folks added deadbolts, mostly with
the little
Mickey-Mouse screws holding lite strike plates. Thats what I
got now.

Burglars keep getting worse and worse, just kicking in rear
doors. I need to
reinforce my locks.

I got front and rear doors, each with a knob-set and a
deadbolt. Old lite
strike plates are about 2 1/4 " long. There is about 1 1/2 "
between the
plates on the rear door, about 3" betwixt on the front.

I figure I'd be reasonably secure if I could get, say, a
single very heavy duty
strike plate to handle both locks on each door using 6 or 8
3.5" screws driven
into the 2 2x4's in the door frame.

That's the most important thing, long screws that will reach into the
framing. don't forget to replace a couple of the screws in at least
the top and bottom hinge as well. You should predrill the holes to
prevent splitting.

If you want something that gives a more imposing appearance, there's
also metal plates that wrap around the door in the area of the
deadbolt. But really making sure that the strike plates and hinges
are anchored to the framing is Step One in upgrading your security.

good luck

nate