Old August 17th 11, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reinforced (door) strike plates

Little brick bungalow in a midwest US city. Quikset door locks.

When I moved in 25+ years ago, everybody had just knob-set locks on their doors.
Burglars got more active, folks added deadbolts, mostly with the little
Mickey-Mouse screws holding lite strike plates. Thats what I got now.

Burglars keep getting worse and worse, just kicking in rear doors. I need to
reinforce my locks.

I got front and rear doors, each with a knob-set and a deadbolt. Old lite
strike plates are about 2 1/4 " long. There is about 1 1/2 " between the
plates on the rear door, about 3" betwixt on the front.

I figure I'd be reasonably secure if I could get, say, a single very heavy duty
strike plate to handle both locks on each door using 6 or 8 3.5" screws driven
into the 2 2x4's in the door frame.

I checked Lowes and HD online, stopped by 1 hardware store, called a
locksmith. Doesn't look like they have anything like what I need (the usual
case).

Any ideas? Whats the best I could do for, say, $20-40 per door, installing
myself?

Thx,
Will

Old August 17th 11, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:49:49 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

[...]

These are from Kwikset for the dead bolt.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Security-Deadbolt-3222-01-CP/dp/B000BCDI4C

Not familiar with ones for the knob-set. You could use longer screws
on those.

Pre-drill for the longer screws as you can break them off.
Old August 17th 11, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 5:49*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
[...]

To be secure you really have to reinforce both sides - the door and
the jamb. There's also the visual deterent. Your door will look
tougher to get into so they'll be less likely to try and go for an
easier target.

Check Amazon for:
Security Strike, Brushed Nickel 6"H x 1-1/8"W by Mintcraft $8.32
Door Reinforcer, 4" x 4 1/2" Brushed Nickel by Mintcraft $7.79
Door Reinforcer, 4" x 9" Brushed Nickel by Mintcraft $9.76

Please note I came in right in the middle of your budget range at
around $30. I expect extra points when you do your grading.

Old August 18th 11, 08:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have seen a door kicked in twice and even the cheapest Kwicksets held
while the wood frame split. I used a 6' x 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/8" piece of angle
iron screwed in behind the molding with 3 1/2" deck screws. some grinding
around the strike plate was required. Add another 12 or so screws around
the perimeter if the door frame wasn't screwed in real well the first time.
Add small steel plates sandwiched around the locks if the door is not strong
enough.

It took me about 3 hrs but the next guys really gonna work up a sweat
kicking his way in. Cost about $15 per door.

If you don't mind the ghetto look put an extra deadbolt down low that says
go away and try the neighbors.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Old August 18th 11, 12:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.- Hide quoted text -

spend money on the strike plate f you want.........

but get a deadbolt with a LONG arm that goes not only in the sstrike
plate but into the framing...

this will slow them down a lot. but remember they may just look for
another way

a yappy dog can do wonders to discourage intruders, so can a alarm
system or just signs warning of alarm system........

Old August 18th 11, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

As you mention Lowe's, this will help with the deadbolt:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_14604-76018-...B&face tInfo=

I've seen reinforced strike plates for deadbolts. Don't
bother trying to get one for both locks, just do the
deadbolt. If you want a quick and simple, you can pilot
hole and then anchor the deadbolt strike with 3 inch
galvanized deck screws in place of the tiny screws the lock
provided.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote
in message

Old August 18th 11, 02:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Longer screws on the deadbolt lock plate are the fastest and cheapest
solution.

At some point it's not worth it since a couple of crowbars will
probably open any of your windows. Just slip one under each side and
pry up. The window latches will pull out.
Old August 18th 11, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles typed:
[...]

That's good for the strike plates it would appear. But don't forget the door
itself; is it hearty enough to withstand a good hit? How about the hinges?
How about the door frame all the way aroun d?

Old August 18th 11, 07:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:47:15 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

To be secure you really have to reinforce both sides - the door and
the jamb. There's also the visual deterent. Your door will look
tougher to get into so they'll be less likely to try and go for an
easier target.

Well, I tend to agree re visuals.

Check Amazon for:
Security Strike, Brushed Nickel 6"H x 1-1/8"W by Mintcraft $8.32
Door Reinforcer, 4" x 4 1/2" Brushed Nickel by Mintcraft $7.79
Door Reinforcer, 4" x 9" Brushed Nickel by Mintcraft $9.76

This stuff might work OK on the front door ...

Please note I came in right in the middle of your budget range at
around $30. I expect extra points when you do your grading.

Not until the assignment is finished. The Strike, Brushed Nickel 6"H
will not clear the strike on the knob-set on the rear door, hence
cannot be used there. Eh?

Thx,
Will
Old August 18th 11, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2011 12:55 PM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
Wilfred Xavier typed:
[...]

(sorry for the direct reply- still fighting with Tbird.)

Strike plates won't help with a typical thin-jambed wood front door from
that era. A solid kick will shatter the door where it is drilled out for
the knob and deadbolt. Unless there is a charming old wood door the
house would look wrong without, just buy a quality steel-clad prehung
door and install it, and be done with it. Make sure it is installed and
shimmed and insulated properly. Another advantage- unless you want the
ability to have the door open for air on those few balmy spring and fall
days, you can deep-six the entire storm door. The heat savings alone
will pay for the door in a few years.

--
aem sends...