Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Hell -o and a fair warning

On 08/19/2011 10:15 AM, Arch wrote:

Hello all,

So good to see so many old friends still posting to the original
unmoderated turning newsgroup and to see that the same old
arguments/advice/comments obtain re hi-carbon steel vs hi-speed steels,
sets vs dedicated tools, less expensive practice sets vs wasting
expensive hi-speed tools. I see that bevelled edged vs carbide opinions
have displaced scraping vs cutting as talk of the day. Preferences re
free hand vs jigs, and grinders vs belts are still put forth. What no
art vs craft! That's a relief. All this is familiar and comfortable
territory that's happily spiced with Charlie's gifts to us in his
teaching posts and experiments in leading the way.

It's a relief to find out that the cartels haven't hurt Mac and my ole
COC chief, Kevin is still suffering the Alaskan tourists. Can't live
with 'em and can't live without 'em, Same in Mexico and Florida.
Everywhere, I reckon. Good to see that Fred is ok and Lawrence spelled
backward's cats are alive and purring while he enjoys chocolate. Then
there's that guy near Macon Gawja that I used to steal his savvy sayings
from and sport them as my own. For all our newcomers, these ole timers
and the many others missed, but not forgotten, (please forgive) know
that I make strange posts just after a full moon! They bear it, look
toward heaven and sigh. Hope you'll do the same.

I'm almost 90 now and that coupled with losing all my (uninsured) metal
and wood lathes, chucks, tools, and accessories plus a Scot's lifetime
collection of antique tools to thieves who probably sold them for scrap
iron turned me out of my empty shop and off talking turning for a time.
I still have the smaller turning things I had at my camp so I'll set up
and try to remember how to turn wood again. Soon as the weather cools
off I'll start musing here to y'alls distraction again. That's fair
warning.

Arch, great to hear you're well. The old group isn't what it used to
be, before the ISPs dropped usenet and the forums took over, but it's
still a comfortable place to sit and chew the fat now and then.

Really sorry to hear about the thieves heisting your tools. That's just
low. Perhaps they eviscerated themselves on the skew chisels in their
haste. One can only hope. At least they didn't get off w/a Scot's
lifetime collection of Scotch.

The tourists don't seem to be as well off this year as in the past, but
my small ticket items are doing well none the less. I can't complain,
and am saving for a new lathe. No complaints about my original model
Nova 2000, but I'd like to move up. Maybe a Stubby (preferred) or a
Powermatic. The Powermatic is quite a bit cheaper but still a good
solid unit and it'll let me swing something bigger than 16". Plus I can
throw a beefier motor on it which will help immensely with coring
multiple bowls. My poor 1.5 hp motor just doesn't quite have the
gitty-up to make coring a pain free experience. No matter.

Stay well and keep the bevel rubbing...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb