B a r r y

Default Norm's mahagany finish

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:24:45 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

I'm sure you don't agree, but I think he should encourage free
thinking, not just doing it one way.

I like Norm, but I also know that an awful lot of people watch his
show and think "I could do that if only I had all that stuff." We
'wreckers all know that tools are only part of the equation. I know
that if I had Tom Plamann's shop, I still couldn't build one of his
stairways anytime soon. In time, maybe, but I certainly know there's
a lot of talent and hard work behind the finished products. I can go
on and on about people looking at a creation of mine and commenting on
the tools. I think Norm often makes things look too easy.

However, Norm does seem to have that bias towards a certain company's
finishing products. I don't know if it's lack of knowledge about
other stuff or pure sponsor pressure.

I'd at least like to see the guy use a GOOD quality stain like
Mohawk/Behlen's. Or maybe talk about oils vs. dyes vs. pigments vs.
combinations of all of the above, and show the difference. A mention
of stock selection, considering the part, would be excellent as well.
At least he's spent a minute or two on milk paint.

I don't see a problem with staining mahogany at all. I do have a
problem with staining mahogany with 'el cheapo products!

OTOH, David Marks seems to put Tung Oil on EVERYTHING!

Barry