Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default spring-steel stainless wire--draw round to square?

Norton is sharing wisdom.. it shouldn't be too difficult to accept. Finding
an existing spring product would be your best option.

I worked in plant maintenance at a steel wire mill facility. Soft mild steel
wire (nails, large staples, MIG wire etc) is fairly difficult to resize
and/or reshape, highly technical and the machines are generally
sophisticated.
The flatteners I saw used numerous (dozens of pairs of) rollers just for one
dimension.

Shaping or sizing gold or silver jewelry wire is more along the lines of a
workbench setup.

Reshaping stainless alloys and high carbon steel would be many times more
difficult than mild steel.

--
WB

"DougC" wrote in message
I am looking at a use for some spring-temper 304 stainless wire, .009" dia.
It comes round, but it would be better suited for this use if it was
square-section. Can I run it (cold) through a couple pairs of rollers to
form it into a square, without altering the other properties?

Alternately does anyone sell smaller quantities of such wire (~1-lb
spools). I see there is flattened wire (about a 2:1 height/width ratio)
but it appears to be once-rolled with the ends rounded from forming, and I
want a (roughly) square cross-section with fairly sharp edges.