Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default nonskid paint additive

Is there any good reason why clean play sand shouldn't be used as a
nonskid paint additive on a wood ramp? It's more coarse than
commercial additives but in my case it's free vs $6 for purchasing
some. I was told that the fine commercial stuff stays suspended in
the paint whereas the sand is heavier and would settle to the bottom.
But if you sprinkled the sand over applied wet primer, let dry, and
covered it with a coat of paint it would appear that you would have a
good nonskid surface. Am I missing anything?

Red