Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default nonskid paint additive

Is there any good reason why clean play sand shouldn't be used as a
nonskid paint additive on a wood ramp? It's more coarse than
commercial additives but in my case it's free vs $6 for purchasing
some. I was told that the fine commercial stuff stays suspended in
the paint whereas the sand is heavier and would settle to the bottom.
But if you sprinkled the sand over applied wet primer, let dry, and
covered it with a coat of paint it would appear that you would have a
good nonskid surface. Am I missing anything?

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
Is there any good reason why clean play sand shouldn't be used as a
nonskid paint additive on a wood ramp? It's more coarse than
commercial additives but in my case it's free vs $6 for purchasing
some. I was told that the fine commercial stuff stays suspended in
the paint whereas the sand is heavier and would settle to the bottom.
But if you sprinkled the sand over applied wet primer, let dry, and
covered it with a coat of paint it would appear that you would have a
good nonskid surface. Am I missing anything?

Red

The one time I used it, I just sprinkled it on the top coat of paint. It
worked well. Probably would work in your case too, but the paint is going
to cover the grit a bit. Worst case is you sprinkle more on top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Is there any good reason why clean play sand shouldn't be used as a
nonskid paint additive on a wood ramp? It's more coarse than
commercial additives but in my case it's free vs $6 for purchasing
some. I was told that the fine commercial stuff stays suspended in
the paint whereas the sand is heavier and would settle to the bottom.

But if you sprinkled the sand over applied wet primer, let dry, and
covered it with a coat of paint it would appear that you would have a
good nonskid surface. Am I missing anything?

Red

Nope, it works just fine. It would work better if you primed, painted,
sprinkled sand in wet paint and then painted again after the first coat is
dry. Reason? The primer dries thicker than the top coats so sand in primer
would be less effective.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 17, 11:48*pm, Red wrote:
Is there any good reason why clean play sand shouldn't be used as a
nonskid paint additive on a wood ramp? *It's more coarse than
commercial additives but in my case it's free vs $6 for purchasing
some. *I was told that the fine commercial stuff stays suspended in
the paint whereas the sand is heavier and would settle to the bottom.
But if you sprinkled the sand over applied wet primer, let dry, and
covered it with a coat of paint it would appear that you would have a
good nonskid surface. *Am I missing anything?

Red

In several floors I have done with epoxy over concrete, only one with
a very fine anti-skid additive was successful. My latest (Sears epoxy
kit) was furnished with the usual fine sand and is a total mess just
like earlier ones. In any traffic area the sand scuffs off regardless
of the number of epoxy layers, and the resultant little craters are
dirt traps that are totally unacceptable. Even when the area is
untouched by traffic, the sand grains make sweeping an aggravation.
Haven't researched anti-skids yet, but I suspect the people that have
boat decks have some good stuff to solve the problem of what works
best on a wood ramp.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:21:38 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Red wrote:
Is there any good reason why clean play sand shouldn't be used as a
nonskid paint additive on a wood ramp? It's more coarse than
commercial additives but in my case it's free vs $6 for purchasing
some. I was told that the fine commercial stuff stays suspended in
the paint whereas the sand is heavier and would settle to the bottom.

But if you sprinkled the sand over applied wet primer, let dry, and
covered it with a coat of paint it would appear that you would have a
good nonskid surface. Am I missing anything?

Red

Nope, it works just fine. It would work better if you primed, painted,
sprinkled sand in wet paint and then painted again after the first coat is
dry. Reason? The primer dries thicker than the top coats so sand in primer
would be less effective.

Depends on the primer, and the paint.

Degloss additive? Al Reid Woodworking 16 October 13th 20 01:37 PM
anti fungal paint additive Paul Waites UK diy 33 August 4th 19 06:35 PM
Insulating Paint Additive Ryan_Hudson UK diy 29 November 28th 08 07:58 PM
Stabil Fuel Additive Jack Home Repair 11 November 27th 05 08:05 PM
Thermilate - insulating additive for paint Tony UK diy 3 October 13th 03 02:04 PM