Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default spring-steel stainless wire--draw round to square?

"DougC" wrote in message
I am looking at a use for some spring-temper 304 stainless wire, .009" dia.
It comes round, but it would be better suited for this use if it was
square-section. Can I run it (cold) through a couple pairs of rollers to
form it into a square, without altering the other properties?

Alternately does anyone sell smaller quantities of such wire (~1-lb
spools). I see there is flattened wire (about a 2:1 height/width ratio)
but it appears to be once-rolled with the ends rounded from forming, and I
want a (roughly) square cross-section with fairly sharp edges.

If you deform metal, it will work-harden. So, no, you can not roll it
without changing properties.

There are places that make square wire, for example:
http://www.microdynetech.com/wire_shapes.htm
http://www.radcliffwire.com/default.asp

A lot of custom spring companies will make springs with square wire, perhaps
they will sell you small quanitites of such.

However, my experience as an engineer is that when you think you need
something really unusual, then you are either not clever enough or too
clever for your own good. There are very rare exceptions when working on
really cutting edge stuff. In other words try to find a way to make do with
round wire.