Pat Barber

Default Norm's mahagany finish

I don't agree with the walnut stain, but .... I was at
a Woodcraft store in Charleston,S.C. last weekend and
one piece of wood that caught my eye was a finished piece
of mahogany.

The finishing schedule was written on the back.

I was blown away by the results and kept expecting to see
the words "sprayed finish", which didn't ever appear.

The basics was sanding,staining,sealing,top coat,sealing,
more top coat,sealing,rub out.....(13-14 steps as I recall)

It was beautiful and had at least two "stains" applied to
it. A cover stain of water based "dye" from Jeff Jewitt
and then a "colored filler" by Behlen.

I was blown away by the finished results.....

When I asked why he stained it, he said most people(pros)
will end up staining mahogany to get a "slightly darker"
look than the native "pink" that mahogany often shows.

After seeing this "all hand applied" finish, I have to
vote in favor of "helping" the mahogany.....

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I was watching a re-run of YW this morning and Norm was making a tray table
out of mahogany. Nice looking wood that sells for about $6.50 and up. When
it was almost done, I thought it looked pretty good.

Then he said mahogany can be too red so he put a dark walnut stain on
it!!!!. I'm glad this was before breakfast or I would have puked. He'd
have don better using mdf and a couple of coats of brown latex.