Posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y
BillW50 BillW50 is offline

Default HP/Compaq laptop battery and/or charger problem

In ,
AJL wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:36:29 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

Can you still get a genuine OEM battery? I would be wary of a cheap
"replacement".

One of the problems with the modern Lithium based batteries is that
they start deteriorating the minute they're manufactured and continue
to do so throughout their lifetime whether they are used or not.

So when replacing the battery on an old laptop the problem is to find
a new battery that was not manufactured 2 years ago (or longer) and
has been sitting on the shelf ever since waiting to be sold. This
battery can be sold as new, and comes in a new unopened package, but
electrically it won't be new.

For that reason IMO you are better off to go to a high volume battery
store and get a remanufactured battery with *fresh cells*...

That is all true of course. But I get 10 years out of mine by sitting on
the shelf. While Barry Watzman got 12 years out of his. You should check
them every year or two and charge them if the voltage has dropped too
low. As once they hit something like 3.4 volts per cell, the safety
circuit might refuse to charge them anymore. As once the cells hit 2.8
volts per cell, they like to burst into flames if you try to charge
them.

So the way I look at it... say a battery was manufactured four to five
years ago. Anything older probably lost too much of its charge and the
safety circuits will refuse to charge it. And even being this old and
treated right, it should last about another 5 to 7 years.

So I don't know about you, But freshly manufactured laptop Li-Ion
batteries usually cost like 200 bucks. While Li-Ion batteries which are
older can be had for about 40 bucks. Remember the sellers are trying to
get rid of them before they will refuse to charge. As once they get to
this state, they can't even give them away. So spend 200 bucks and get
about 10 to 12 years out of it. Or spend about 40 bucks and get 5 to 7
years out of those. I dunno, I rather go for the older Li-Ion batteries
if you ask me. ;-)

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3