Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Democracy in Action

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:13:58 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 8/13/2011 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Totally agree with that article you posted the link to, especially the
Honors College comments, The students get first pick at the professors
and have much smaller more personal classes.

It's hard to believe that 70% of the undergraduate classes at most
universities are now taught by outsourced, "paid-by-the-course", adjunct
professors!

A sad state of affairs ... this corporate model of teaching was unheard
of in my day.

It's not new. I taught a senior level CS course and a graduate level MIS
course 30 years ago. At one point I asked the dean if I taught all the
required courses, if I got my masters (I only have a BS). He didn't like the
question.

Sometimes there are people in industry who know more about a subject than you
can find to teach.

Might as well get some of that "discount knowledge from the local
community college", if it's the same folks doing the teaching!

Community colleges are often a good idea.

Hell, at this rate it won't be long before Haji's teaching physics at
Harvard ... from a call center in New Delhi.

Internet classes are already happening. Something like a third of my son's
classes are via the Internet. Why not from New Delhi? That's where all the
instructors came from 40 years ago.