Posted to comp.sys.laptops,uk.d-i-y

Default HP/Compaq laptop battery and/or charger problem

John Williamson wrote:

Most Lithium based batteries I've had in laptops have died after
no more than four years. I killed one in a few months by just leaving
the laptop plugged in permanently.

A recently purchased IdeaPad has an option to keep the battery charged
to 50% rather than 100%. This is intended in cases where the laptop is
usually left connected to the charger, which hurts the battery
longevity, you can untick the setting when you know you will want the
full 5+ hours battery capacity ...