Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default Democracy in Action

Swingman wrote:
On 8/13/2011 10:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Is is true that colleges are being run more and more like a business.
Their survival partially depends on doing so, no?

Did you bother to read the referenced article that touches on that very
subject?

Well, honestly, I had not read it. It was not a really a matter of my
being bothered. But I just went back and read it, some parts of it 2 or
3 times.

Pretty important to further meaningful dialogue, as it was the basis for
discussion.

I think, based upon my experience, I can only add one thing (if that):

That you can pretty much count on academic institutions to follow a path
which is consistent with their economic incentives. Contrary to the
opinion of some, there are some pretty smart people at colleges and
universities, even some you might call "angle shooters", who will work
like lawyers to get as big of a piece of the pie as they can. The pie
not only includes governmental support and grants, but also the
potential students (which colleges have some incentive to make as large
of a group as possible).

To me, it feels a bit analogous to government--very difficult to
mismantle and redesign...

Some similar problems: Medical costs, Suit-happy legal system,
union/employer rules, ...

A common thread seems to be the "angle shooters" who are willing to put
their economic self-interest ahead of "ethics". Entities have learned to
use "politics" in place of ethics. This seems to be related to
MARKETING--its not WHO you are, it's WHO THEY THINK YOU ARE that counts,
right? No Wonder ADVERTISING is so popular!!!

Example: If you run BP, just spend a few bucks and video some clean
water for the silver screen...

Bill

Extra Remark: I suspect (fear) that as we are pushed more and more into
a state of information overload, that marketing will only be more
effective as people will feel pressured to rely on sound-bites.

Extra question: Are ethics and religion related? Want to tie in
cable-tv, single-parent families, disrespect for nature and natural
resources,... ?

I think if everyone felt a compulsion to "do the right thing" we
wouldn't be having this discussion. Are people entitled to be lazy? I
don't know. It seems unethical. Someone I know (that you don't) says:
"Laziness needs no explanation" (I think he is an extremely hard worker!)

I said above I could "only add one thing". Sorry if I exaggerated a bit.
If I had to reduce my entire post to one word, it would be "ETHICS".

..