Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_41_] Bill[_41_] is offline

Default Democracy in Action

J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On 8/13/2011 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Totally agree with that article you posted the link to, especially
the Honors College comments, The students get first pick at the
professors and have much smaller more personal classes.

It's hard to believe that 70% of the undergraduate classes at most
universities are now taught by outsourced, "paid-by-the-course",
adjunct professors!

A sad state of affairs ... this corporate model of teaching was
unheard of in my day.

Might as well get some of that "discount knowledge from the local
community college", if it's the same folks doing the teaching!

Hell, at this rate it won't be long before Haji's teaching physics at
Harvard ... from a call center in New Delhi.

Very few full professors were teaching when my kids went to university
(Columbia) 15 or more years ago.

That ship doesn't fly as well as it used to, though there are exceptions.

Interesting if true that undergraduate courses are now taught by adjunct
faculty. Used to be taught by grad students under the supervision of a
faculty member.

Not all colleges have grad students in every department. Those that do
obviously use them (first).

Even when I went (Holland, almost 50
years ago), only some were. Interestingly, some were giants in their
fields. Now if I could only remember their names ...