Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder[_2_] Mr Pounder[_2_] is offline

Default Chest Freezer Hinge

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger wrote in message
o.uk...
The spring counterbalanced hinge mechanism on my venerable Bauknecht
chest freezer recently exploded (both sides) spraying springs, washers,
push rods all over the place. I think I can work out how to reassemble
them but the gizmos which keep the push rods aligned with the
projection
on the lid appear badly mangled and I can't really see how they were
meant to do their job. I've had quite a few hair raising twangs while I
have been fiddling.

Anyone know a source for these hinge assemblies?

maybe worth tracking down where the local suppliers of new white goods
take the old goods when they have installed/delivered the new goods -
for
one such around here it's a large lock up unit on an industrial estate
filled inside with new goods and outside piled high with dead white
goods
awaiting onward transport.... a crumpled tenner could clinch a spares
"deal"?

Jim K

Yes, but watch it taking the hinge off.
I used to repair refrigeration, one of these hinges belted me in the
face. I
still have the scar.

Local tip might be able to help. Take em off with the lid open to minimise
stored energy.

Bob

Most tips will not allow this.
Health and Safety.